Monday, June 1, 2009

My story....again?


Maybe I'm tired of telling my story. I meet different people everyday, and every now and then I happen to strike up a conversation that dips deeper than the typical, "how's it going?". I actually love hearing other people's stories- where they came from, what they've done, what they are doing, what they really want to be doing, and so on. But, I am reaching a point where I no longer want to answer those questions myself. Maybe it's just my situation right now but I am thrown for a loop when posed with these questions, and I hate that my responses seem to come out whiny or bitter or complacent. The truth is that I am learning to live every moment with purpose because God placed me in that moment. It is not an easy thing. Most days, I fail at it yet I keep going.

I'm also tired of hearing myself talk about myself. Seriously, my story is getting outdated. I want to hear others and listen to their stories. It's like book that is sitting on the shelf. You see the spine and read the name of it... it looks interesting. Once you pull it from the shelf you can see the cover... it grabs your attention. Upon reading the back cover you get a preview and discover their personality. Then you open it and read
their story. How boring would it be if you pulled the book from the shelf, read the back cover, opened it, but begun to tell your own story while holding theirs in your hands?

Pick up a new book... become a real listener.

No comments: